APPLIED POWER ELECTRONICS CONFERENCE (APEC) - Austin, TX, Feb. 25, 2008 – ON Semiconductor (Nasdaq: ONNN), a leading global supplier of efficient power solutions, today introduced a GreenPoint™ open reference design for a 50 watt (W) ac-dc internal power supply for set-top-boxes (STBs). This reference design overcomes the challenge of delivering high efficiency on four output voltages by using synchronous rectification and soft switching quasi-resonance.
According to the Natural Resources Defense Council and Ecos Consulting, set-top boxes now consume more energy than many common home appliances. Together, the box and its attached TV could easily consume more energy per year than a refrigerator. For example, a new high-definition set-top box with built-in DVR consumes about 350 kilowatts per hour (kWh) per year. With one to two set-top boxes in most U.S. households, it is estimated that these appliances consume over 23 billion kWh of electricity nationwide, resulting in power plant emissions of over 15 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2), a heat-trapping greenhouse gas contributing to global warming.
“The way they are designed today, most set top boxes cannot be significantly powered-down without being physically unplugged from the wall,” said Andy Williams, senior vice president and general manager of ON Semiconductor’s Automotive and Power Regulation Group. “This has made efficiency in active mode a paramount concern for power supply design engineers. Our new 50 watt GreenPoint™ reference design achieves active-mode efficiency of 81 percent. Additionally, this design expands our offering of reference design solutions for home entertainment consumer electronics. It is yet another example of ON Semiconductor’s commitment to helping customers streamline their design cycles, meet a wide variety of global efficiency standards, and deliver greener power technology solutions to consumers worldwide.”
The 50 W ac-dc internal power supply reference design addresses all functional blocks of the adapter, utilizing several of ON Semiconductor’s power management devices and drawing from its leading discrete component portfolio to achieve superior efficiency performance.
Key Products in the Reference Design Include:
• NCP1308: This controller combines a true current mode modulator and a demagnetization detector to minimize the EMI signature and maximize efficiency, by operating in quasi-resonant mode. The NCP1308DR2G is offered in a SOIC-8 package, and priced at $0.47 per unit in 2,500-unit quantities.
• NCP1586: This controller provides an optimal level of integration to reduce size and cost of the power supply. Features include a 1 ampere (A) gate driver and an internally set 275 kHz oscillator. The NCP1586DR2G is offered in a SOIC-8 package, and is priced at $0.45 per unit in 2,500-unit quantities.
• TL431A: This three-terminal programmable shunt regulator diode is offered in a SOIC-8 package and priced at $0.21 per unit in 2,500-unit quantities.
• MC79L05: This 100 milliamp (mA), 5 volts (V), negative voltage regulator is offered in a TO-92 package and is priced at $0.22 per unit in 2,500-unit quantities.
• MURA110: This 1 A, 100 V ultrafast rectifier is offered in a SMA package and is priced at $0.13 per unit in 5,000-unit quantities.
• NTD4808N: This 30 V, 63 A power N-Channel MOSFET is offered in a DPAK package and is priced at $0.25 in 2,500-unit quantities.
• NTB60N06L: This 60 A, 60 V power N-Channel logic level MOSFET is offered in a D2PAK 3-lead package and is priced at $0.86 in 800-unit quantities.
All of these devices are RoHS compliant and are delivered in Pb-free packages.
ON Semiconductor has a complete documentation package for the 50 W ac-dc power supply reference design, including description, schematics, bill-of-materials, Gerber files and evaluation guidelines. The documentation package is available at www.onsemi.com/GreenPoint, as are links to relevant industry information and other supporting information. For more information, contact Laurent Jenck at Laurent.Jenck@onsemi.com.
A live demonstration of a 50 W ac-dc power supply for STBs - utilizing this GreenPoint™ reference design - will be on display at the ON Semiconductor booth (No. 210) at APEC to be held in Austin, TX, from Feb. 25-27. For more information about the show, visit https://www.apec-conf.org/.
GreenPoint reference designs enable more efficient systems by establishing the feasibility of meeting evolving energy efficiency standards with existing technology, and by setting performance benchmarks. ON Semiconductor’s GreenPoint™ reference designs are available for 300 W ATX, 8 W DTA, 50 W STB, 160 W CRT TV and 220 W LCD TV power supplies; and 5 W, 16 W, 40 W, 60 W, 90 W, and 200 W power adapters.
The GreenPoint™ ATX reference design was recognized as one of the top ten new product stories for 2007 by Darnell Group, a leading power electronics publisher. To acquire GreenPoint™ documentation packages, visit www.onsemi.com/GreenPoint.
About ON Semiconductor
With its global logistics network and strong portfolio of power semiconductor devices, ON Semiconductor (Nasdaq: ONNN) is a preferred supplier of power solutions to engineers, purchasing professionals, distributors and contract manufacturers in the power supply, computer, consumer, portable/wireless, automotive and industrial markets. For more information, please visit ON Semiconductor’s website at https://www.onsemi.com.
# # #
ON Semiconductor and the ON Semiconductor logo are registered trademarks of Semiconductor Components Industries, LLC. All other brand and product names appearing in this document are registered trademarks or trademarks of their respective holders. Although the company references its Web site in this news release, such information on the Web site is not to be incorporated herein.