Pcb axm0f343 - tcxo

Hello

1. AXM0F343 in the schematic example you used NT2016SA-48M-END4910A (48 MHz TCXO - Oscillator), however this DEVICE no longer exists in mouser / digikey. I contacted the manufacturer, but please recommend/provide a low cost alternative.
  2. do you have hardware design guide for AXM0F343 or RF chip that the AXM0F343 is based on?
  3. When should I need a TCXO? if I use low rate 20 bytes code once in few minutes at 15dbm in long range 40m indoor and 250m out door with auto ack :
    3.1. can I use without tcxo ?
    3.2. Is 16MHz TCXO good for long range 15dbm low rate with auto ack ?

thanks
yaniv

1 Like

Hi Yaniv, answering your questions:
1. AXM0F343 in the schematic example you used NT2016SA-48M-END4910A (48 MHz TCXO - Oscillator), however this DEVICE no longer exists in mouser / digikey.

• At the end of 2020 a fire disrupted the global availability of TCXOs. The NT2016SA-48M was affected by the consequent worldwide shortage.
  • NDK has samples stock of NT2016SA-48M-END4910A. You can check directly with David Maurel at NDK. dmaurel@fr.ndk.com .

2. do you have hardware design guide for AXM0F343 or RF chip that the AXM0F343 is based on?

3. When should I need a TCXO?

• Depending on the application, a more or less precise reference clock shall be used. TCXOs are more stable (<5 ppm) with respect to XTAL (or XO) oscillators (~10-50 ppm). XTAL oscillators are less expensive and consume less power, but for narrowband applications where clock stability is fundamental for a successful reception, a TCXO is required.
  • A deeper explanation on the topic is given in this app note from Skyworks, check from page 14, Appendix A/B—How to Select the Right XTAL for your Application (skyworksinc.com)

4. if I use low rate 20 bytes code once in few minutes at 15dbm in long range 40m indoor and 250m out door with auto ack :

• in your case, you can adapt the PHY to your needs. The lower the datarate, the higher will be the sensitivity, but the more precise your clock reference will have to be.
  • AX-Configuration-Utility has a built-in check that will mark fields in red if the RX BW / Datarate / Deviation / XTAL precision are not compatible with each other. You can read further about it from page 33 of the user manual that you can open directly from the GUI as shown below:

5.Can I use without tcxo ? Is 16MHz TCXO good for long range 15dbm low rate with auto ack ?

For a specific post on how to modify HW/SW to work with a custom reference clock check out FAQ: Use different TCXO or XTAL with AXM0F343 - Connectivity / Sub-GHz - onsemi Community Forums

1 Like