KB: How to enable debug messages to the serial terminal in the "blinky" sample

The PRINTF() macro in the “blinky” sample supports two types of debug interfaces: UART and RTT.

The developer can select the debug interface during the compilation process by setting
the macro OUTPUT_INTERFACE in project settings. If the macro is set to -1, tracing is disabled. This is the default behavior in all sample applications.

Add “OUTPUT_INTERFACE=0” to the project settings preprocessor to enable serial interface in the “blinky" application.

DIO#6, assigned to the push button on the RSL10 EVB, has to be disabled for the USB/UART serial interface to work properly on RLS10 EVBs. To work around this problem, disable the push button.

Example for disabling the push button: in app.h of the “blinky” project, redefine the BUTTON_DIO (#define BUTTON_DIO 4)

To view the messages, you can use any application which supports a serial terminal (minicom, puTTy, teraterm).

I used the basic blinky program (that is, nothing changed in the program, except for the preprocessor symbol added and BUTTON_DIO definition changed, as mentioned here)

I have added #define BUTTON_DIO 0 to disable the push button, my Rx pin is connected to DIO4, Tx pin to DIO5 and ground pin to GND. I am using RSL10−002GEVB ( EVBUM2529DB RSL10 Evaluation and Development Board User’s Manual (onsemi.com)). the serial port is 115200 bps, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit and no flow control. I am using Putty to view serial port.

I cannot see any message in the Putty console. I have looked around at the other posts here related to enabling uart and rtt, I have seen section 7.1.1 in RSL10_getting_started_guide.pdf. Nothin works.

Please let me know what information I can post here that will help troubleshoot this issue.

(Using CMSIS pack 3.5.285, ON Semiconductor IDE 3.4.0.48, Eclipse version 2020-12, Build id: 20210226-1917 on Windows 10 Home OS build 19041.867)

Hi @mahaju,

Please see our response to this request in the following topic:
New to Eclipse and OnSemi and want to debug to UART

We can continue the debugging process in the topic above to keep all of the useful debugging steps and feedback in one location.

Thank you for using our Community Forums!