KB: Getting set up with the RSL10 SDK & Eclipse IDE

Question

What steps are necessary to access the RSL10 SDK and set up the Eclipse based tools

Recommendation

1. Go to the RSL10 product page page

2. Use the download buttons on the main page

3. Download and read the RSL10 Getting Started Guide for detailed instructions

4. Download and install the Eclipse based ON Semiconductor IDE Installer

5. Download and unzip the RSL10 Software Package which contains the RSL10 CMSIS Pack

6. Follow instructions in the RSL10 Getting Started Guide to install the CMSIS Pack and sample projects

7. Other optional downloads are available, such as the RSL10 USB Dongle BLE Explorer, the RSL10 Software Utility Apps, and the RSL0 LPDSP Software Package.

Note 1: The RSL10 Documentation Package is provided as a separate download in the list, and its contents are also included in the RSL10 Software Package so it does not need to be downloaded if the software package is installed.
Note 2: The RSL10 Software Package also includes the release notes document
Note 3: MyON accounts are required to download many of these packages. An account can be created here
Note 3: The CMSIS pack is also compatible with IAR & Keil. More details are available here.
Note 4: Setting up the tools to program the LPDSP32 is a separate process described in this post.

1 Like

Hi! I’m trying to follow your steps and when I click on Download Software Package it sends me to another page but never downloads.
I tried to go at software page and nothing. This is the page wich I can see

How can I download RSL10 Software Package? Could you help me please?
Thank you!

Problem solved! Was the AD-Blocker.

:sweat_smile:

Thank you

2 Likes

Hi mike.picheca, I really need to setup the RSL10 SDK on Ubuntu in raspberry Pi4, Pls. advice to me? Thanks!

Joseph

hello @josephchang888

The RSL10 SDK is designed and tested to work on a Windows platform and is supported in development environments including Eclipse, Keil, and IAR.

It may however be possible that the package could be adapted for other platforms such as Ubuntu and Linux using a standard compiler and linker such as gcc. If you are inclined to independently make changes to use the SDK for an alternative platform, we would be interested to hear about your solution if you are willing to share it in a post on the Community Forums. If you get stuck, others in the community may be able to assist.

Thank you again for your question about the RSL10 toolsets and using the Community Forums.

@mike.picheca I am configuring my Eclipse setup on Mac OS and documenting the steps so I can post these. However there are some ON Semi packages that get installed in the windows installer which I don’t have access to, namely the “IDE Platform”, the “IDE Common Feature”, and the “RTT viewer” packages. Typically these could be installed from a URL using the Eclipse “Install New Software…” feature.

Is there an ON Semi URL which points to where these packages can be installed from? I could manually copy these from an Windows installation to my Mac (in the appropriate directories), but it would be valuable to other community members if this install URL were accessible.

Thanks for your help here.

@mbianchi

though we don’t officially support Mac installations, here are some suggestions we can provide with respect to the packages you would need to install. Try them out and share your result with the community.

1. Install eclipse for your system from Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers | Eclipse Packages

2. Install the following plugins from Eclipse software repository | The Eclipse Foundation via Install New Software in Eclipse.

• Embedded C/C++ Arm Cross Compiler - org.eclipse.embedcdt.managedbuild.cross.arm.feature.group
  • Embedded C/C++ CodeRed Debug Perspective - org.eclipse.embedcdt.codered.feature.group
  • Embedded C/C++ J-Link Debugging - org.eclipse.embedcdt.debug.gdbjtag.jlink.feature.group
  • Embedded C/C++ OpenOCD Debugging - org.eclipse.embedcdt.debug.gdbjtag.openocd.feature.group
  1. Download CmsisPackPlugin.zip from Releases · ARM-software/cmsis-pack-eclipse · GitHub and install it via Install New Software in eclipse

Note that the plugins are for customization purposes, you can still run RSL10 with our CMSIS pack without necessarily relying on them though it will impact the look/feel/accessibility IDE (i.e. splash screen, ide icon, about screen, option to open on semiconductor website from the help menu, button to open cmsis pack perspective).

@mike.picheca
Thanks for this list. I had most of that done except for the cmsis-pack-eclipse.

I now have it set up however the issue I am struggling with is that I have installed the On Semi CMSIS pack, however it doesn’t show any of the Examples. The RSL10 shows up in the left-hand pane Devices and Board tabs, and the right-hand Pack Properties shows the pack rev with Board, Components, and Devices. When I click on the Examples tab it is blank.

Would have or someone in the tools group have any idea what might be going on? I feel like I am very close to getting everything working great on Mac, but this last hang-up has me a bit stuck. I can get at the source in the PACKS directory, but I’d really like to use the Pack Manager to handle that.

Thanks for your help!

@mbianchi

glad you are starting to see success. With respect to the samples, our tools team suggested the following, Give it a go and let me know let me know if it works on your end.

copy the “com.arm.cmsis.pack.refclient_2.4.0.201905291614.jar” from the ON Semiconductor IDE dropins folder to his eclipse/dropins folder.

@mike.picheca
Awesome - that worked! Thanks for following up on this.

I wasn’t sure if there was going to be such a simple fix, so in the mean time I had just used a windows installation to copy over the handful of example projects that seemed most applicable, and then I selectively copied files from the windows eclipse workspace to my Mac workspace. This basically worked, but needed some jiggering to get the projects all building.

1 Like

@mbianchi

I’m glad it worked!

Hi @mike.picheca

I have had no problem with getting the samples uploaded and running but there seems to be a real lack of information about creating your own project / taking one of the basic samples and editing them.

For instance, I have the RSL10-SENSE and all I am looking to do is:
Create a custom ble profile (one service, one characteristic to notify raw gyro at a sample rate)
deep sleep when not connected to anything and sleep in between samples when connected.

Is there anywhere that can show us what steps to take to accomplish something like this? I am thinking instructions on how to add the relevant devices to the project (in this case the IMU), creating custom ble profiles, initialising the above, setting sample rates, how to sleep…

Really look forward to a reply / any help! I can’t wait to really get going with this clearly very powerful development tool.

Thanks

Lewis

Hi @lewisjrichardson,

While there is no formal documentation about how all of these components can be integrated together, there are a few sample applications that can be used as building blocks to better understand each component and aid in the inclusion of the all.

Please see a list of the sample firmware that we suggest you take a look at and a quick outline of the important functionality of each:

1. ble_peripheral_server_bond’ - This sample is our generic Peripheral implementation that goes over the setup of a BLE Peripheral device on RSL10. Specifically, it includes files titled ‘app_customss.c’ & ‘app_customss.h’ which go over how to build a Custom Service database that includes various characteristics with read, write or notification permissions. This is available in the RSL10 CMSIS Software Package.

2. BHI160 Sensor Hub Example’ - This sample demonstrates how the BHI160 Sensor (and therefore the RSL10 on-board gyroscope) that is mounted on the RSL10 Sense EVB can be interfaced with using the I2C. There is a variety of abstractions applied to make the acquisition and setup of the gyroscope as simple as calling several functions. This is available in the RLS10 BDK CMSIS Package.

3. peripheral_server_sleep_ext’ - This sample application also demonstrates how to setup a BLE Peripheral device on RSL10, but also makes use of both the RLS10 Deep Sleep and BLE Sleep to maximize power efficiency. It will Advertise for a set number of packets with BLE Sleep between each, and if no connection is formed, it will fall into Deep Sleep until a GPIO transition triggers a wake-up. On each wake-up from Deep Sleep, it will perform the set number of Advertising packets again. If a connection is formed, it will maintain the connection while sleeping in-between each connection event. On disconnect, it will again Advertise the set number of packets before returning to Deep Sleep. This is available in the RSL10 CMSIS Software Package.

If you have any questions about any of the sample firmware samples suggested above, please let us know and we will be happy to provide more suggestions or feedback on how you can achieve the desired implementation.

2 Likes

Thanks @brandon.shannon

These certainly help so thank you! I can now see the format / process for each of those points.

Is there a way to create a new blank project that has all the core parts that are seen in the examples? (RTE folder and config file, bare bone includes etc.)

Hi @lewisjrichardson,

If you are looking to start a project from scratch, my recommendation would be to start with our ‘Blinky’ sample code as a baseline.

This sample code is very small and simple, but has the necessary ‘.rteconfig’ and ‘RTE_Device.h’ files to add all of the other components that you ae trying to integregrate.

1 Like