Issue in receiving audio data in RSL10 - 'BLE-IOT-GEVB '

There are some issues while implementing ble_android_ASHA on RSL10. Please consider the below mentioned issues and kindly suggest your views on the same.

1. RSL10-iot-gevb is loaded with ‘ble_android_asha’ firmware from ‘ONSemiconductor.RSL10.3.4.2-4.pack’ CMSIS package downloaded from ON semiconductor website and is connected with a phone supporting Android ASHA (Samsung Galaxy Note10+). The connection is established and the Audio ‘Start’, ‘Stop’, ‘Volume’ functionalities are working correctly but on playing a media file, only 16 data are received on RSL10 and afterwards the data stops which was confirmed by printing the data on UART as well as by checking the ‘ASHA_EVENT_DIO’ toggle. The data values were printed onto UART from ‘APP_ASHA_CallbackHandler’ function in ‘ble_android_asha/source/app_msg_handler.c/’. Why is the data getting stopped?

2.Also on Starting the media, the audiotype detected is always 0 (unknown). Should it be detected as 3 for media?

3.The phone call ringing is also not detected.

Could you please confirm that your android phone ( Samsung Galaxy Note10+) supports ASHA ?

Yes… The android phone(Samsung Galaxy Note 10+) supports ASHA.
It is verified through UART, that other functionality like volume change is working as expected.

Hello reshma9464,

Our team validated the ‘ble_android_asha’ sample code (on the RSL10 SiP & QFN) and it seems to all be working as expected. The one small change they did make is adding the onboard RSL10 Output Driver as the audio output so it can run on the RSL10 standalone, without hooking up an external Ezairo over SPI.

It was tested the following on Samsung S9 (Android Version 10) and Samsung S10 (Android Version 10):

1. Audio Streaming from Youtube, Spotify and Phone Calls were all streamed properly and could be heard continuously. Also, volume works as expected and Audio Stream Start/Stop is working properly.
  2. We are not sure what ‘audiotype’ refers to. We cannot find this in the sample code, and nothing in Android settings seems to comment on this either.
  3. Phone call ring and audio are both streamed to the RSL10 properly.

Please see attached ASHA Output Driver code below. Perhaps you can try to use the OD setup first to verify the ASHA functionality? It can be interfaced by connecting a balanced audio receiver onto DIO0 (OD_P) and DIO1 (OD_N). If audio streaming works well over the OD, this means the problems you were experiencing were likely related to the SPI/Ezairo setup.

ble_android_asha_OD.zip (215.7 KB)

Hello martin.bela,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. Will test accordingly.

@martin.bela
I tested with this code and is working as expected. Thanks for your reply.

@reshma9464 You are welcome and thank you for using our community forum.

@martin.bela In the latest version of the RSL10 software package, in order to compile the code you provided, we need to change the project settings as explained here: KB: Updating RSL10 Projects from SDK 3.4 to SDK 3.5

I have a few questions on how to get started with the asha sample program

1. Do I need to have the LPDSP32 tools installed to use this program? What else do I need, besides an ASHA capable smartphone, to play a music file on the phone and listen to it on the RSL10 development board using the zip file you provided?

2. I downloaded the program in your zip file as well as the ble_android_asha sample program in the RSL10 CMSIS package, with OUTPUT_INTERFACE=1 to enable RTT as mentioned here: KB: How to enable debug messages to RTT in "blinky" sample
    However, I cannot see the debug messages printed by the ble_android_asha program on RTT viewer, while I can see it in other programs like peripheral_server using the same steps. How can I view debug messages on ble_android_asha?

I am using this on RSL10 development board (RSL10−002GEVB)

@mahaju

Please see our response in thread :
How do I get a working sample of the ble_android_asha code in RSL10 development board? - #2 by brandon.shannon

Thank you for using our community forum !