FAQ: Programming AXM0F243 with AXDBG

Having trouble downloading code to the AXM0F243. This is NOT an eval board. When I download via AXcode:Blocks, I get the following:

Setting remote timeout to unlimited
Connecting to remote target
Setting breakpoints
Debugger name and version: GNU gdb (GNU Tools for ARM Embedded Processors) 7.10.1.20160923-cvs
Connected
In __Vectors () ()

However I’m not able to do any break points, that is the code will not break, can’t do a hardware or software reset, it just gives me the above message. Other times I will get the “No Devices Found” message when I try to download. It’s my understanding that I basically need VDD (which I have) and a 32768 clock to get a successful download and really disregarding everything else for now.

Any tips or advice??

Thank you!
Jon

Hi Jon. Thanks for contacting us.
First of all, what do you mean by “this is not an eval board”? Are you using your own PCB mounting our chip? If you are using our DVKs please follow this quick-start guide https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/EVBUM2595-D.PDF

In order to successfully program and debug our AXM0F243 you need to connect all the signals from the AXDBG Debug adapter board. As can be seen from the schematic you will need at least the signals GND, VIO, DBG_DATA and DBG_CLK connected. TX0 and RX0 are needed only for reading/sending printfs via serial COM.

Additionally, be aware that the AXM0F243 platform does not offer a HW/SW reset via AX-CodeBlocks. In order to restart the program in debug mode a re-flashing will be required. Yet, setting breakpoints should be working (try to put one in a part of the code you are sure will be executed). Additionally you can always advance in your program using the stepping buttons

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need further assistance.
Georgi

Georgi,

Can I send you the prototype circuit. This is the board I am having trouble with. It could be a layout or solder issue however could you review this schematic and make sure the circuit topology is correct. Can’t upload in this forum. Please advise.

Thank you very much!

Hi Jon, you can send me the schematic as a private message (or a whisper).

Hi Georgi,

Not sure how to do private messages - is that just email and if so I do not know how to obtain it