External oscillator frequency options for RSL10 during radio activity - 48MHz only option?

Hi, I usually work on the firmware side of things when it comes to microcontrollers, but I have a question about the hardware side. I am searching for the absolute smallest components I can find for a custom board, and a 48MHz crystal is relatively large compared to other components. I found a 20MHz oscillator (SIT8021AC-J4-18S-24.000000E SiTime | Crystals, Oscillators, Resonators |) that is much smaller than 48MHz options. Would it be possible to use a 20MHz clock instead of the 48MHz oscillator in the reference schematic? I’m also looking for as minimal power consumption as possible, so perhaps a lower frequency clock source would help with this as well.

I only want one crystal on my board, which I know will be alright if i use a 48MHz crystal. Any help or insights on using a 20MHz crystal instead would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Hi,

According to RSL10 datasheet, if you want to transmit or receive RF traffic, the RSL10 must be clocked from the XTAL/PLL of the radio front−end at 48 MHz.
When RSL10 is not transmitting/receiving RF traffic, it can run off the 48 MHz XTAL, the internal RC oscillators, the 32 kHz oscillator, or an external clock. Please refer to the picture below.

Thank you for using our Community Forum.