Documentation for RivieraWaves kernel

Hi OnSemi,

I am missing documentation for RW kernel module: Riviera Waves Kernel (RW-BT-KERNEL-SW-FS), Riviera Waves.

Can you please point me to where I could find it?

Thanks,

@l.miklosko
Hello,

All Riviera wave documents onsemi can share are in the ceva folder in document package.
May i ask why do you need the kernel for the Riviera wives IP. We have not had a customer ask for that.

There is a kernel timer included, which looked like it could be used for deep-sleep application timings (just assumed based on the DEEP_SLEEP macro inside ke_timer header file), but turned out this was not the case. Also, in some documents inside the ceva folder are references towards the document described above.

Anyway, it would be good to see at least something describing how the components of the kernel interacts, how the messaging system works etc, if we shall use one in the application.

Thanks,
Lukas

@l.miklosko

Please refer to our RSL10 Firmware reference , chapter 4 , which offering following features:

• Exchange of messages

• Message saving

• Timer functionality

• The kernel also provides an event functionality used to defer actions.

Hi @martin.bela,

thank you for your reply. I briefly went over the document. I wasn’t able to find how the timer functionality keeps track about current time - does it use RTC, BB_TIMER?

Furthermore, the document talks about “Time reference” - what is that? (“RW Kernel provides a Time reference (absolute time counter.)”.

The document also goes briefly through the definition of a tasks. How do I create a new task except application task. Is it even possible? Is it a good idea to have a task per custom BLE service for example?

Thanks,
Lukas

@l.miklosko

I wasn’t able to find how the timer functionality keeps track about current time - does it use RTC, BB_TIMER?

This RW Kernel is part of the Radio System, and therefore will make use of the 48MHz XTAL required for radio operations.

Furthermore, the document talks about “Time reference” - what is that? (“RW Kernel provides a Time reference (absolute time counter.)”.

This is referring to the ‘Time Reference’ that is kept internally by the Kernel to determine if the set Kernel Timer is ready to be serviced.

The document also goes briefly through the definition of a tasks. How do I create a new task except application task. Is it even possible? Is it a good idea to have a task per custom BLE service for example?

You cannot create additional tasks beyond what is available with our Libraries. The APP_TASK is multi-instantiated though, so you should have no problem assigning various messages, timers or handlers within APP_TASK.