Phoenix, AZ, Feb 20, 2008 – ON Semiconductor (Nasdaq: ONNN) today introduced a GreenPoint™ open reference design for a 5 watt (W) ac-dc adapter for Constant Current, Constant Voltage (CCCV) mobile phone chargers. This reference design exceeds ENERGY STAR® requirements for single voltage ac-dc and ac-ac external power supplies revision 1.1, for high active-mode power efficiency and low standby-mode power consumption. The reference design could also be easily modified for use with low power, single output-voltage adapters for cordless phone chargers.
This reference design solution achieves active-mode efficiency of 70 percent at 120 Vac and 65 percent at 230 Vac, exceeding ENERGY STAR® guidelines of 63.5 percent for both input voltages. In standby-mode, the solution consumes only 75 milliwatts (mW) at 120 Vac and 90 mW at 240 Vac, exceeding ENERGY STAR® guidelines of 0.5 W for both input voltages. In addition, the design complies with FCC Part 15 Level B EMI requirements.
“ON Semiconductor’s 5 W GreenPoint™ reference design expands the power range of our portfolio of power efficient solutions for ac-dc adapters,” said Andy Williams, senior vice president and general manager of ON Semiconductor’s Automotive and Power Regulation Group. “This open reference design is just one more example of ON Semiconductor’s commitment to assisting customers to streamline their design cycles, meet a wide variety of global efficiency standards and deliver greener power technology solutions to consumers worldwide.”
The 5 W ac-dc adapter reference design addresses all functional blocks of the adapter, utilizing several of ON Semiconductor’s power management devices and drawing from its leading discrete component portfolio to achieve superior efficiency performance.
Key Products in the Reference Design Include:
• NCP1014: This monolithic switcher integrates a fixed-frequency current-mode controller and a 700 V MOSFET. The device includes soft-start, frequency jittering, short-circuit protection, skip-cycle, and a maximum peak current set-point. The NCP1014 is priced at $0.41-0.43 per unit in 1,000-unit quantities for the PDIP-7 package, and at $0.43 per unit in 4,000-unit quantities for the SOT-223 package.
• MURS160: This 1 ampere (A), 600 volt (V) Ultrafast Rectifier is offered in an SMB package and priced at $0.20 per unit in 2,500-unit quantities.
• MBRS360: This 3 A, 60 V Schottky Rectifier is offered in an SMC package and priced at $0.33 per unit in 2,500-unit quantities.
• MMSD4148: This 100 V Switching Diode is offered in an SOD-123 package and priced at $0.04 per unit in 10,000-unit quantities.
• MMSZ5229B: This 500 mW Zener Diode is offered in an SOD-123 package and priced at $0.04 per unit in 3,000-unit quantities.
• MMBT2907AW: This PNP Transistor is offered in a TO-92 package and priced at $0.08 per unit in 5,000-unit quantities.
All of these devices are RoHS compliant and are delivered in Pb-free packages.
ON Semiconductor has a complete documentation package for the 5 W ac-dc adapter reference design, including description, schematics, bill-of-materials, Gerber files and evaluation guidelines. The documentation package is available at www.onsemi.com/greenpoint, as are links to relevant industry information and other supporting information. For more information, contact Christophe Warin at Christophe.Warin@onsemi.com.
A live demonstration of a 5 W ac-dc cell phone adapter utilizing this GreenPoint™ reference design will be on display at the ON Semiconductor booth (No. 210) at the Applied Power Electronics Conference (APEC) to be held in Austin, TX, from Feb. 25-27. For more information about the show, visit https://www.apec-conf.org/.
GreenPoint reference designs enable more efficient systems by establishing the feasibility of meeting emerging energy efficiency standards with existing technology, and by setting performance benchmarks. ON Semiconductor’s GreenPoint reference designs are available for ATX, CRT TV, and LCD TV power supplies; and 5 W, 16 W, 40 W, 60 W, 90 W, and 200 W power adapters. To acquire documentation packages, visit https://www.onsemi.com and search on “GreenPoint”.
About ON Semiconductor
With its global logistics network and strong portfolio of power semiconductor devices, ON Semiconductor (Nasdaq: ONNN) is a preferred supplier of power solutions to engineers, purchasing professionals, distributors and contract manufacturers in the power supply, computer, consumer, portable/wireless, automotive and industrial markets. For more information, please visit ON Semiconductor’s website at https://www.onsemi.com.
# # #
ON Semiconductor and the ON Semiconductor logo are registered trademarks of Semiconductor Components Industries, LLC. All other brand and product names appearing in this document are registered trademarks or trademarks of their respective holders. Although the company references its Web site in this news release, such information on the Web site is not to be incorporated herein.<.i>